What is a belt conveyor system?
Belt Conveyor systems are the most versatile and simplest material handling systems. Two or more pulleys drive an endless loop belt, smoothly and quickly moving a product from Point A to Point B. Belts are fabric or rubber, and they are commonly used in both manufacturing and distribution facilities.
Ultimation designs and builds electric belt conveyor systems from 5′ long to 102′ long and in widths from 6″ wide belts up to 72″ wide. They are great for transporting regular and irregular shaped objects both light and heavy. Typical items transported on conveyor include totes, packaged goods, bulk boxes and bundled items. Due to simplicity in design and construction, the motorized belt conveyor installs quickly for a reduced installation time. As a leading electric belt conveyor manufacturer, Ultimation can guide you through the selection process.
What are the types of conveyor belt systems?
- Slider Bed Belt Conveyor
- Roller Bed
- Incline Belt – Slider
- Incline Belt – Roller
- Troughed Belt Conveyor
- Trough Drum conveyor belt
These are just a sample of the variations available from our catalog which you can download from this page.
Belt Conveyor Design Checklist – Use them to:
- Move simple products from one location to another
- Move products up or down inclines (check with our engineers on maximum angles for your product)
- Move in either continuous or indexing modes (i.e. the belt stops and starts each time to move a product to the end of the belt using a sensor)
- Use when changing the speed is necessary. When fitted with a VFD (variable frequency drive), a powered conveyor with a belt is a simple conveyor to adjust the speed on
- Moving a product around curves. Belt conveyor curves maintain the proper product orientation while a product moves around the curve
Don’t use a motorized belt conveyor if you need:
- Accumulating products (i.e. for a buffer). Belt conveyors can’t allow the products to nest up against each other (“accumulate”) without them pushing product off the belt. If you need accumulation, use a roller conveyor or overhead conveyor
- Products that won’t slide or roll off the belt. A powered belt system requires the part to ride on the belt without sliding. If you need the parts to be held while on the conveyor, consider a slat conveyor which can be fitted with tooling to hold the product in place as the conveyor moves along
- To use the conveyor as a working surface. Belt style conveyors are made for transport, not for production operations on them. Use a slat conveyor or roller conveyor.
Different types of belt conveyor surfaces (belting material choices)
- General purpose
- Rough top belt – for extra grip on inclines, declines and products that might slide
- Higher chemical resistance – for best protection from chemicals
- High cut resistance belt material – for rough or sharp items like sheet metal or bricks
- High temperature resistance
Styles of Belt Conveyors Available in custom configurations:
Depending upon the product weight and the product being conveyed, we have many different types of powered belt style conveyors available for handling the loads. Product weights typically ranges from 5 lbs. up to 1,280 lbs.
- Heavy Duty models with channel frames
- Belt curves
- Incline style
- Troughed belt (with side rails to keep products on the belt)
- Bolt-together or welded construction dependent upon duty
- Belt widths up to 72” for heavy duty
- Lengths in 1’ increments ranging from 5’ to 102’
- Multiple drive packages and mounting options
- Power Belt Curves and Belt Inclines available
Are they called “conveyor belts” or “belt conveyors”? Technically the entire assembly as shown here is known as a belt conveyor, or a belt conveyor system. The belting material is made of fabric, rubber or flexible plastic and it is the belting material itself that is the “conveyor belt”. They are sometimes also called “conveyor belt system” to indicate a system comprising of the actual conveyor belt and the movement system for the belt.
Call us. Our staff are ready to help.
- Ready to buy standard models? Click here to go to our online store. We have many models of conveyor belt for sale. Fast shipping is available on some ‘quick ship’ models.
- Call us on 586-771-1881. As a leading belt conveyor manufacturer, we know all the types of conveyor systems and our staff will help you with the necessary calculations for load, speed and everything else you need.
- Need help learning about other conveyor types, which types to use and how to specify them? This step by step guide will help.